Students may use a computer, tablet, or other mobile device to access their courses and review lessons. A computer and software program such as Microsoft Office or Open Office will be necessary to complete required assessments in the courses.
Canvas only requires an operating system that can run the latest compatible web browsers. Your computer operating system should be kept up to date with the latest recommended security updates and upgrades.
If your browser does not update automatically, you can download your preferred browser in the browser’s download page:
- Chrome 81 and 83
- Firefox 75 and 76 (Extended Releases are not supported)
- Flash 29 and 30 (used for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files)
- Internet Explorer 11 (Windows only—functionally supported; may exhibit slight visual differences from other browsers, but these differences do not restrict product functionality or accessibility)
- Edge 81 and 83 (Windows only)
- Respondus Lockdown Browser (supporting the latest system requirements)
- Safari 12 and 13 (Macintosh only)
INTERNET EXPLORER & MICROSOFT EDGE
Canvas on Mobile Devices
The Canvas interface was optimized for desktop displays, so using small form factors such as phones may not be a pleasant experience in using Canvas. For the best user experience, please download the Canvas mobile applications.
Since Canvas uses small elements of Flash, not all Canvas features may be supported on mobile devices, especially on iOS. However, Canvas offers limited support for native mobile browsers on tablet devices. For additional details, please reference the limited-support mobile browser guidelines.
- Safari (default browser with limited Canvas support)
- Photon Flash Player (supports Flash)
- Chrome (defult browser with limited Canvas support)*
Along with compatibility and web standards, Canvas has been carefully crafted to accommodate low bandwidth environments.
It is recommended to have a minimum Internet speed of 512kbps.
AUDIO & RECORDING DEVICE
Speakers or Headphones with microphone capabilities may be necessary to complete some assessments