Citizens High School Español is a resource designed to deliver parallel, dual-language instruction online to students whose primary language is Spanish. It means that students will view their courses in English and Spanish simultaneously, with 100% online convenience and the ability to switch back and forth between languages as skills and comfort level grow. This parallel format will help students navigate through our courses in their native language while submerging themselves in American language culture. What’s more, to ensure that all students have the necessary levels of support for earning an accredited high school diploma, CHS Español also provides students with access to a variety of ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) courses which will help them practice their English conversation and communication skills with the free Duolingo app.
While originally designed for students who wish to gain better mastery over the English language. CHS Español may also be beneficial for students wishing to practice their Spanish learning skills on their way to becoming bilingual. Please contact one of our Admissions advisors to learn more.
Español Academy Overview
- Courses in English/Spanish Side by Side
- Offers English As A Second Language
- Hispanic Speaking Staff for Student and Parent Support
- Supports Multiple Paths to your High School Diploma
Latino Success is CHS Success
We Know How Important Education Means to You
The Español Pathway provides the opportunity for parents to be involved in their children learning experience. Having the side by side English/Español resource allows native speaking parents with the unique advantage to help their children in their academic progress while also having the freedom of learning English themselves.
Hear Directly From our Latino Students and Parents
Side by Side as an Aid to Learning
A program designed to bridge language gaps and promote higher education in the Latino community.
How Does it Work?
As you go through each course, you will be able to view the content in English and Spanish simultaneously. Having both languages side by side will empower you to learn as you go through each module while developing the skills to complete the assignments & exams in English.
Students are provided learning aids that helps to increase your English language capability.
A self-paced online program that is designed to help you reach your goal to graduate with an accredited high school diploma.
English as a Second Language (1 Credit)
English as a second language (ESL) is provided as a credit or non-credit course but not at the expense of the student’s native language
- This course is for innovative English Speakers
- Goal of course is to improve the student’s level of English and prepare the student for academic study or satisfy your personal English learning needs
- Learn conversation English, grammar, reading, listening, comprehensions, writing, and vocabulary
- Parents or other family members can take the ESL course for free and learn at their own pace. Provides an opportunity for the family to learn English together
Civics and Citizenship (1 Credit)
- Explore the Nature of ‘Citizenship in America * Learn how to actively participate, question and improve democracy
- Learn how to prepare to the US Naturalization Test
- Learn the rights granted to citizens, as well as their responsibilities
- Learn how to stay informed, participate in the democratic process
- Understand your right to vote
- Understand the rights, beliefs and opinions of others
Life Skills (1 Credit)
- Choose the skills you need to make the most out of life
- Any skill that is useful in your life can be considered a life skill
- You learn one life skill every two weeks (16-week courses are available)
- Pick from a list or request a skill to be approved by your teacher —Communication—Decision Making—Finance—Creative Thinking
- Earn credit for these skills that you will need to help with parenting and later in life
We are regionally accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and nationally accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC).