Citizens High School Español is a resource designed to deliver parallel, dual-language instruction online to students whose primary language is Spanish. It means that students will view their courses in English and Spanish simultaneously, with 100% online convenience and the ability to switch back and forth between languages as skills and comfort level grow. This parallel format will help students navigate through our courses in their native language while submerging themselves in American language culture. What’s more, to ensure that all students have the necessary levels of support for earning an accredited high school diploma, CHS Español also provides students with access to a variety of ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) courses which will help them practice their English conversation and communication skills with the free Duolingo app.
While originally designed for students who wish to gain better mastery over the English language. CHS Español may also be beneficial for students wishing to practice their Spanish learning skills on their way to becoming bilingual. Please contact one of our Admissions advisors to learn more.
Español Academy Overview
- Courses in English/Spanish Side by Side
- Offers English As A Second Language
- Hispanic Speaking Staff for Student and Parent Support
- Supports Multiple Paths to your High School Diploma
Latino Success is CHS Success
We Know How Important Education Means to You
The Español Pathway provides the opportunity for parents to be involved in their children learning experience. Having the side by side English/Español resource allows native speaking parents with the unique advantage to help their children in their academic progress while also having the freedom of learning English themselves.
Hear Directly From our Latin Students and Parents
I get to study on my own time and whenever I want. I can go as quick or slow as I want which gives me a lot of comfort. What I have learned is also very good and better than any high school I’ve been to.
My son has a promising future in baseball. We travel constantly to his baseball games and keeping up with his traditional brick and mortar school have been very overwhelming. We found CHS online and gave it shot. It’s been great! Now he can manage his courses from any location, at any time. We are so excited for the experience and opportunity for our son to obtain a U.S. diploma.
Since the earthquake’s effects, it has not been safe to go to school especially because I’m a teen mom. Finding CHS has given me and my family a peace of mind. It’s amazing how the teachers work with you and how they care. I’m from Puerto Rico and to me it’s a little challenging to speak English but they will make anything possible so that you not worry. They also know how to speak Spanish.
My two kids have always been enrolled in private school. Unfortunately, we had several earthquakes which affected the building structures of houses, roads, and schools. We were in so much fear about the safety of our kids, but thankfully a friend of ours recommended CHS. Now my kids are both enrolled taking courses online and continuing their education. We are now at ease and happy.”
Side by Side as an Aid to Learning
A program designed to bridge language gaps and promote higher education in the Latino community.
How Does it Work?
As you go through each course, you will be able to view the content in English and Spanish simultaneously. Having both languages side by side will empower you to learn as you go through each module while developing the skills to complete the assignments & exams in English.
Students are provided learning aids that helps to increase your English language capability.
A self-paced online program that is designed to help you reach your goal to graduate with an accredited high school diploma.
Many of our faculty and staff are bilingual and can provide language and cultural understanding to our increasing latino student population.
English as a Second Language (1 Credit)
English as a second language (ESL) is provided as a credit or non-credit course but not at the expense of the student’s native language
- This course if for innovative English Speakers
- Goal of course is to improve the student’s level of English and prepare the student for academic study or satisfy your personal English learning needs
- Learn conversation English, grammar, reading, listening, comprehensions, writing, and vocabulary
- Parents or other family members can take the ESL course for free and learn at their own pace. Provides an opportunity for the family to learn English together
Civics and Citizenship (1 Credit)
- Explore the Nature of ‘Citizenship in America * Learn how to actively participate, question and improve democracy
- Learn how to prepare to the US Naturalization Test
- Learn the rights granted to citizens, as well as their responsibilities
- Learn how to stay informed, participate in the democratic process
- Understand your right to vote
- Understand the rights, beliefs and opinions of others
Life Skills (1 Credit)
- Choose the skills you need to make the most out of life
- Any skill that is useful in your life can be considered a life skill
- You learn one life skill every two weeks (16-week courses are available)
- Pick from a list or request a skill to be approved by your teacher —Communication—Decision Making—Finance—Creative Thinking
- Earn credit for these skills that you will need to help with parenting and later in life
We are regionally accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and nationally accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC).